Wednesday, May 09, 2007

City songs

I want to find my New Haven song, probably because I'm so fond of my Raleigh song.

What makes the city song the city song? It has to:
1) Mention the city I'm living in/have lived in
2) Capture my sentiments toward the city.

My Raleigh song was Wagon Wheel, whose original lyrics are typically attributed to Bob Dylan. The song was popularized by Old Crow Medicine Show, and when the bluegrass-y fiddle gets going in my car everyone practically snerks at the fact that, at the end of the day, I am quite Southern after all.

My favorite lines from that song...

Headed down south to the land of the pines
Thumbin' my way to North Caroline
Starin' up the road
And pray to God I see headlights

I made it down the coast in seventeen hours
Picked me a bouquet of dogwood flowers
And I'm a hopin' for Raleigh
Wanna see my baby tonight

Runnin' from the cold up in New England
I was born to be a fiddler in an old-time stringband
My baby plays the guitar
I pick a banjo now

And I gotta get a move on before the sun
I hear my baby callin' my name
And I know that she's the only one
And if I die in Raleigh
At least I will die free


Every time I put on my iPod on the flight home, this is the first song I play.

So the hope is that some day, New Haven will have a song too. Therefore, dear friends, be on the lookout for New Haven in song...I'll find it someday.

No comments: